ABOUT THE ARMIDALE TEACHERS' COLLEGE
Built from 1928 – 1930, the heritage-listed Armidale Teachers’ College is an impressive building surrounded by formal gardens high on a hill overlooking the city of Armidale.
The College was built to train school teachers for country service and played an important part in the establishment of the University of New England.
The building has social and cultural significance to many thousands of teaching, nursing, and other adult education students who graduated from the College, as well as the many academic and administrative staff who have worked there since 1929.
Many of the building’s heritage features remain intact, featuring Australian timbers, terrazzo stairs and parquetry floors, and a commanding foyer and staircase leading to the first-floor auditorium.
HISTORY OF THE COLLEGE
Site selected for Armidale Gaol
Building of Gaol commenced
Goal proclaimed; first prisoners admitted
Armidale Teachers’ College inaugurated
Gaol demolished; foundations of the College laid
Armidale Teachers’ College building completed
Teachers’ College became Armidale College of Advanced Education
College amalgamated with the University of New England
Friends of the Old Teachers’ College constituted
New England Conservatorium of Music established in the building
Re-imagining project begins
Over the next year, the New England Conservatorium of Music and Friends of the Old Teachers’ College will open an exciting new chapter, re-imagining the historic Teachers’ College as a thriving community hub.
Joined by a consortium of local cultural institutions, our shared objectives are to maximise community engagement, attract visitors to the region, and increase connections with neighboring cultural infrastructure.